Many organizations will face the need to relocate their data centers at some point in time. They may find that they are out of physical space due to increasing IT demands, or they may decide that it makes sense to move to a colocation facility. Relocation may be required as part of a data center modernization project, as opposed to a disruptive “rip and replace” of cabling and other infrastructure.
Whatever the reason, a data center migration is a significant undertaking that requires careful assessment and planning. By following these 10 steps, organizations can help ensure the success of their migration project.
- Define your goals. You can’t manage what you can’t measure. Determine what you hope to achieve from the migration and establish benchmarks and key performance indicators for measuring success.
- Develop a high-level strategic plan. Your project roadmap should align with your strategic vision and your organization’s tolerance for risk. Work with key stakeholders throughout the business to ensure the plan is viable.
- Engage the right partner. A data center migration is seldom a do-it-yourself operation. Partner with a vendor that has expertise in all aspects of the data center infrastructure and proven success in migration projects.
- Assess the existing environment. Today’s highly complex data center environments have many critical dependencies that must be carefully analyzed. Conduct a comprehensive review of infrastructure, applications, connectivity, security and other elements of the data center.
- Design the new environment. This is a golden opportunity to improve your data center operations. Evaluate and implement advanced cooling systems, cabling management and other infrastructure components that increase efficiency and reduce costs.
- Fine-tune the plan. Now is the time to move from high-level strategy to a highly detailed project plan. Document the tactical steps necessary to complete the project, establish milestones and develop testing procedures.
- Allocate resources. How much of the project can your team realistically handle given their day-to-day workload? Sit down with your vendor partner to determine roles and responsibilities.
- Make the move. This is where all of the upfront effort pays off. Execute the project plan, adjusting on the fly for any unforeseen contingencies.
- Execute the cutover. Thorough testing according to the procedures you’ve established will ensure that everything’s ready. Bring up the new environment, troubleshoot any issues and review key performance indicators.
- Celebrate success. It’s important to help the business see why all of the time, expense and disruption was worth it. Provide reports showing the measurable value to be gained in the new environment.
Rahi Systems offers turnkey migration services based upon our proven methodology and expertise across the data center environment. We are fully insured and have extensive field experience, reducing the risk to your business. Our global presence and logistics capabilities enable us to execute migration projects anywhere in the world.
Whether you need to move a few racks and cabinets within a facility, or relocate an entire data center to another continent, Rahi can help ensure the success of your initiative. Contact us to discuss why partnering with Rahi is a smart move.